Under the SIMS project, an internship involves a 4-5-week foreign stay covering a visit to three types of scientific units managing a large research infrastructure, including:
- a renowned institution of higher education managing a large research infrastructure (SUNY, Imperial College London, ETH, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster),
- a highly-specialised research institute (Fraunhofer, Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, DESY, CERN),
- a world-renowned company with a High Technology profile (IBM, Philips, Intel, SAMSUNG).
During the internship, participants will have a chance to gain experience, both in commercial and public units, which will help them to closely observe the management processes from the scientific and business points fo view.
The objective of the internship is to gain knowledge about the whole process of management of RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE by:
- specification of the objectives of the research unit and definition of its mission;
- development of a catalogue of research services which the unit is capable of offering, both internally and externally;
- acquisition of skills connected with presentation of its resources;
- setting out a clear procedural path for internal and external users;
- maintenance of durability and financial liquidity of infrastructural projects;
- development of awareness of various processes which need to be administered for the purpose of management of an apparatus-focused research centre;
- learning about mechanisms and culture of co-operation with businesses;
- professional personnel build-up and human resources management;
- observation of good managerial practices and their implementation in one’s own research unit.